- Physical activity is important for everyone, specifically for young people. It not only helps in maintaining a healthy weight but also encourages physical and mental well-being.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) recommends that children and teenagers (5-17 years old) should engage in at least 60 minutes of physical activity per day. Here are some rules to help young people and their parents include physical activity in their daily routines.
Variety of Activities:
- Encourage young people to participate in a variety of activities that involve aerobic exercises, for example, cycling, swimming, and running.
- These activities increase heart rate and improve cardiovascular endurance. Moreover, activities that promote strength and flexibility, like weightlifting and yoga, are also important for overall fitness.
Limit Screen Time:
- It is necessary to limit screen time, as unnecessary use of electronic devices can lead to an inactive lifestyle.
- Encourage children to participate in physical activities that don’t involve screens, such as playing outdoor games, joining sports teams, or engaging in active play with friends.
- Encourage young people to walk, bike, or use other active modes of transportation when possible.
- As an alternative to driving them to school or extracurricular activities, inspire them to take the opportunity to be active and walk or bike instead.
- This not only increases physical activity levels but also lessens congestion on roads and decreases pollution.
- Engage in physical activities as a family. Plan hikes, bike rides, or outdoor sports that everyone can participate in.
- This not only promotes physical fitness but also strengthens family bonds and creates lasting memories.
Break it down:
- It can be challenging for young people to engage in 60 minutes of continuous physical activity.
- Encourage them to break it down into smaller chunks throughout the day.
- They can engage in three 20-minute sessions of physical activity or six 10-minute sessions.
- This can easily be achieved by taking short walks during breaks, playing active games, or joining after-school sports clubs.
Active School Environment:
- Schools play a crucial role in promoting physical activity. Encourage schools to provide physical education classes, recess breaks, and extracurricular sports or activities.
- It is important for young people to have access to safe and engaging environments that support physical fitness.
Set a Positive Example:
- Parents should set a positive example by being bodily active themselves. When children see their parents engaging in physical activities, they are more likely to follow suit.
- By ranking physical activity as a family, young people will develop a lifelong habit of staying active.
Limit Sedentary Behavior:
- Inactive behavior, such as sitting for long periods watching television or playing video games, is associated with numerous health problems.
- Encourage young people to take breaks from sedentary activities every 30 minutes by engaging in simple movements like stretching or walking around.
- It is important to prioritize safety during physical activity. Make sure young people wear appropriate protective gear, such as helmets, when participating in activities like biking or skateboarding.
- Encourage them to stay hydrated and avoid engaging in activities that may pose a risk to their health.
Keep it Fun:
- Lastly, it is essential to keep physical activity fun and enjoyable. Young people are more likely to engage in activities they find enjoyable.
- Encourage them to explore different activities and sports until they find one they truly enjoy. This will increase their chances of maintaining an active lifestyle throughout their lives.
In The End:
- In conclusion, physical activity is important for the physical and mental well-being of young people. By following these strategies, parents, caregivers, and schools can help children and youths incorporate physical activity into their daily routines.
- By making physical activity fun and engaging, young people are more likely to adopt a healthy and active lifestyle that will benefit them throughout their lives.